Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rules of Engagement

I like rules. Not to say that I’m a model citizen, but I do think that rules are an essential part of living in society, and I idealistically think the world would be a better place if people followed rules. But which rules? Whose laws? Thankfully I’m not in charge of the world, because here’s a list of rules that guide me:

  • From June through October, I can eat ice cream every night. From November through May, I can only eat ice cream on Sundays.
  • If I buy an article of clothing, I have to get rid of one.
  • The only meat I pay money for is from local small family farms where animals are pastured.
  • Never pay more for a concert than the price of a CD.
  • Don’t listen to radio or watch TV that has commercials.

Of course, rules are made to be broken; doing so keeps me humble and spontaneous. And maybe sometime I'll write about how my rules came to be.

I was talking with a friend the other day about another friend’s mugging, which led to talk about gangs in Mexico, organized crime, and the seemingly steep descent of the world in a handbasket. He interrupted—“Organized crime? You want to talk about organized crime, talk about a government that robs the poor to support the violent activities of those in charge, that extorts money, ‘protection fees,’ to keep people safe.” He was ranting, I zoned. But the questions remain: Whose rules? Which laws?

1 comment:

  1. Technically the way the tax structure is set up the government is robbing the rich to accomplish all those bad things, not the poor. By definition, poor people are not worth the trouble to rob.

    ReplyDelete